Creating various specific Power of Attorney documents before your deployment is essential to successfully maintain your balance in juggling your military family duties while you're away.
Before they were famous, many truly influential men and women started by serving their country in the US military or grew up in military families.

How Power of Attorney Protects Your Military Family

Managing military deployment includes handling all the challenges associated with separation from your military spouse and family.

Creating various specific Power of Attorney documents before your deployment is essential to successfully maintain your balance in juggling your military family duties while you're away.


It may be unsettling to consider harmful situations befalling your loved ones, but as a military servicemember, it is your duty to prepare yourself and your family to handle all situations.

There are different Power of Attorney documents, giving your loved ones the power to deal with financial, legal and medical emergencies in your absence. Your military legal service office can help you make sure you've covered all the right categories.

To protect and provide for your family, it is critical for every military servicemember to arrange all the specific Power of Attorney documents with your military legal service office, before you leave for deployment.


Deployment can mean loss of control over personal bank accounts, household and business accounts that are under your name only. Without the military account holder at home, your spouse may be powerless to act on your behalf to make payments, check on accounts, or access essential documents.

A Power of Attorney is a legal document that gives authority to a person you assign - known as your agent - to act as your legal representative.

With a Power of Attorney, your agent can make transactions that would normally require your signature, including cashing checks, filing taxes, paying bills, or selling property.

Here is a general overview of Power of Attorney documents most military servicemembers will need at one time or another.


The General Power of Attorney gives your trusted authority, or agent, complete legal control over your financial and personal affairs. However, a General Power of Attorney expires in the event that you die or become incapacitated.

To protect your military family best, military servicemembers should establish a Durable Power of Attorney, a clause that authorizes your agent to act on your behalf in any situation, until you revoke the document.


The Limited Power of Attorney gives your agent the authority to perform only certain tasks during a determined amount of time.


A Health Care Living Will lists medical procedures you are willing to accept in the event that you are unable to make a conscious decision.
The Living Will specifies types of medical treatment you would want to accept or reject. These important medical decisions should be discussed in advance with your family members. It is recommended that you leave a copy of your Living Will with your doctors.


Military Hub is not a government website and is not affilitated with any branch of the U.S. Military.

Support Our Troops:

Semper Fi Fund
The Semper Fi Fund provides financial assistance and support to service members and their families.
IAVA - Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America
IAVA is the nation's largest nonprofit, nonpartisan organization representing veterans and their families.
Team Rubicon
Team Rubicon unites the skills and experiences of military veterans with first responders.
Pat Tillman Foundation
The Pat Tillman Foundation invests in military veterans and their spouses through educational scholarships.

About Military Hub
Privacy Policy
Contact / Advertise

Copyright © 2008 - 2019
Advertise Military, LLC
All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: and are private websites that are not affiliated with the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, any U.S. government agencies, or any U.S. military branches. Our sites contain basic information about veteran benefits, pay tables, current events, and news for active duty military personnel, military veterans, and their families. You can find additional information on these topics at the official website for U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs.