Keeping your legal status information updated can help avoid problems when tax filing time comes around for military families.
Before they were famous, many truly influential men and women started by serving their country in the US military or grew up in military families.

Tax Tips for Newly Married, Divorced or Adopted Military

Marriage, divorce or adoption; as these life changes can be milestones in your military lifestyle, they also reflect legal status changes the IRS wants to know about. Keeping your legal status information updated can help avoid problems when tax filing time comes around. Here are easy tips to help you stay current with the IRS, assuring that the name registered on your tax return matches the name registered with the Social Security Administration.


It's imperative that the IRS computers be able to match your name with your Social Security Number on your tax records.
If you were recently married and now legally use your spouse's last name, or you have hyphenated your original last name, avoid complications when filing your taxes by notifying the Social Security Administration of your name change well before tax time. Name change notification to the SSA also applies to recently divorced parties who are returning to their original last names.


If you have legally adopted your spouse's children from a previous marriage and there is a legal name change for your new military children, notify the SSA to have the children's Social Security Numbers (SSN) updated. Social Security numbers must be provided for each child on your tax return; as the parents, you can apply for an Adoption Taxpayer identification Number through a W-7A form.


Notifying the SSA is a simple process of filing a Form SS-5, Application for a Social Security Card. This can be filed at your area SSA office, or on the SSA's website Once filed, the process takes about two weeks to apply the name changes.


Military Hub is not a government website and is not affilitated with any branch of the U.S. Military.

Support Our Troops:

Semper Fi Fund
The Semper Fi Fund provides financial assistance and support to service members and their families.
IAVA - Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America
IAVA is the nation's largest nonprofit, nonpartisan organization representing veterans and their families.
Team Rubicon
Team Rubicon unites the skills and experiences of military veterans with first responders.
Pat Tillman Foundation
The Pat Tillman Foundation invests in military veterans and their spouses through educational scholarships.

About Military Hub
Privacy Policy
Contact / Advertise

Copyright © 2008 - 2018
Advertise Military, LLC
All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: and are private websites that are not affiliated with the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, any U.S. government agencies, or any U.S. military branches. Our sites contain basic information about veteran benefits, pay tables, current events, and news for active duty military personnel, military veterans, and their families. You can find additional information on these topics at the official website for U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs.